FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Death Spiral of the Centurion Card
View Single Post
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:40 am
lacuadra

Programs: AAdvantage Elite Plat, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, BA
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Quote:

Originally Posted by baccarat_king

Also, don't really get the "eye-candy" aspect, as I never get a chance to hand my AMEX to anyone (when paying chip+PIN), with exception to checking into a hotel. So, that benefit, seems to be squarely US focused.

Well, in some cases, a guy walks into a bar.

In other cases, a still-single, 35-yr-old, financially-successful, socially-awkward douche bag walks into a night club and as a way to get the attention of the 22-yr-old, equally single, equally insecure, equally shallow women inside flashes his black Amex to prove that he's got $$.

Or maybe earlier in the evening, that same douche bag, who perhaps doesn't really have as much money as he wants people to think he does, is picking up drinks/dinner/etc. at a business function and wants the rest of the guys around to think he's a "big shot". I remember dealing with these when working in entertainment - guys who had black cards but didn't realize that the benefits were pretty worthless when they flew coach and could only get hotel rooms with two double beds since company partners would often share rooms...
Business partners sharing rooms ?
That is just Darrin and Larry of Bewitched!

Anyway, I firmly believe that the top celebs are given the card, they wont even ask for it. I am pretty sure Beyonce or Madonna get it for free