FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:23 pm
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I'm hoping that with improved cost structure (lower) and better profitability, new AA relaxes the "must touch a hub" rule and starts/re-starts selected point-to-point routes where they make sense (eg BOS-SFO).
You and me both - that's been a drawback with both pre-merger airlines. Then again, it's also mostly how US got me as an elite - 3 of my most 4 common destinations (PHL, PHX, DCA and the outlier - SAN) are hubs and therefore get direct traffic from PWM (or cheaper from MHT/BOS, except PHX which requires a 90 min drive to BOS).

New AA will have SAN covered through the AS partnership, although a 2nd daily at a more convenient time (earlier than 6:55pm) would be nice. It's pretty clear AS is focused on getting SAN pax to BOS and not really vice versa, but they're also a west coast airline. Ditto SEA and PDX, where you really can't even connect BOS-SEA/PDX and go anywhere else same day on AS. They're just not concerned with west-bound connecting traffic.

As much as I'll complain in the future to whatever changes to the frequent flyer program, routes, hubs, whatever, if New AA can get me to PHX and the west coast from BOS, as well as picking up some kind of west-bound route from PWM (preferably ORD, but I'd settle for DFW), I'll probably stay as or more loyal as I am today.