FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - China Visa / Visas Master Thread (all you need to know)
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:52 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by zehbra
Sorry if this was asked before, but I'm wondering about other's experiences: Did they generally get more strict with tourist visa requirements? (I'm located in Switzerland; maybe they were just too easy-going so far and tightened the screws now?)
In the past few years i had no trouble applying for Chinese visas with not much more than a booked flight; Last december i even got a one-year multiple entry tourist visa, again with only 3 booked flights - never any hotel bookings.
Now that it runs out i wanted to try the same stunt again (knowing that a one-year visa is a long-shot), but was not only told that two-entry visas are the maximum now for tourists, but also that they want hotel bookings for the whole stay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining; just wondering if this is a general trend, or if that is up to the officer at the window...
ok... this is the first confirmation I have seen of the implementation of the new tourist visa rules which came into effect on 1 September 2013.

Previously (for non-USA citizens who get a 1-year multi-entry) citizens of other countries were free to apply for multi-entry visas once they had 'built up' the right to do so (starting with a single entry, then double then multi etc).

The changes supposed to come in from 1 September changed the above to exactly how you describe... a max 2 entry tourist visa.

The reasoning behind the change was too many people abusing the tourist visa status to work there... especially - so the rumour on the ground in China went - in some of the less reputable industries.