FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:48 pm
u2vox

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}

I seem to have poor luck with bags making connections, particularly international ones in SFO and/or CDG, despite being on time and intentionally planning for a minimum of 2 and up to 4 hours of connection time. I'd say my bag is delayed in 1/3 of those situations. That can't be average... I never check a bag unless I have to, but this time it was expanded, stuffed with Christmas gifts from VIE and CDG.

Case in point: Yesterday, CDG-SFO-PDX. Arrive SFO at 12:20, flight to PDX leaves at 3:26. TONS of time for my bag to make the connection. Arrive in PDX, no bag. Baggage folks look at the record and say that, to their confusion, the bag was attempted to be put on a flight to EUG multiple times - and duly taken off multiple times. They don't, however, know where it is at the moment. Given reference link etc.

I finally get word (from calling and demanding - the online reference check NEVER updated once) that it's on a flight this morning that left at 7 something - the second flight of the day from SFO-PDX. And let's be clear, there were 4 other SFO-PDX flights yesterday it could have made. Instead, it was put on it's 7th opportunity, including the original one it should have made.

I don't get it. What's really happening on the ground? Doesn't someone go, "Oh look, the tag says PDX - not EUG. We should probably send this over to the PDX flight [It was a UX flight as well]. What, you say? We missed that intended one? Okay, let's put it on the very next one out." But clearly that doesn't happen. And it doesn't even make it on the first flight out this morning. It's at SFO the entire time, who knows where and who knows with whom. What gives? What's really happening / not happening? Why is it taking so long?

Delayed baggage can be really, truly frustrating, and the seeming lack of urgency / priority / etc. just adds to it. I'll admit I'm particularly sensitive to it, but with good reason, given a completely lost bag (never turned up) 3 years ago.