FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:07 am
NiceLanding

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SS255
When I visited the US CP desk in February, 2006, I was told that I had 802,000 lifetime earned miles. This was prior to the Shares cutover, and supposedly US no longer has the historical information of "all earned miles." I find that hard to believe, but there is a possibility that they can pull up the old information prior to the Shares cutover (March, 2007).

If NuAAdvantage does a one-time adjustment the way UA did, and the adjustment counts all earned miles until December, 2011, with my 57K+ AA lifetime miles I should just eek across the MM line. If they do the adjustment and only count all earned miles until March, 2007, I'll probably fall just short. It just seems to me that if they do no adjustments whatsoever they will really be shortchanging DM members -- some even to the tune of a full lifetime status level.
IMO a retroactive recalculation under a different set of rules is far less fair than it may seem to be at first glance, as demonstrated with the CO/UA fiasco. Those who care about MM miles tend to adjust their behavior to fit the rules in place at the time, thereby reducing the value of such a recalculation for them. The biggest benefit then goes to those who did not behave as the airline originally intended and now get rewarded for their disloyalty.

If there really is a big difference in value for one airline's MM miles over the other's, I think the better way to handle it is simply an across-the-board conversion factor. For example, 1 DM MM mile converts to 1.25 AA MM miles.