FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mileage Runs turnarounds / turnabouts / transits:- Experiences please
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:37 pm
ckjmglee

Programs: UA MM Platinum, HH Diamond
BQN - Aquadilla, Puerto Rico

Hawaii (HNL/OGG)-BQN-Hawaii in early December 2013

BQN is a small airport on the west side of Puerto Rico on Atlantic Standard time (one hour ahead of EST).

United first class RT fares between Hawaii (OGG and HNL) and BQN have been running around $1,000-$1,200 during certain times of the year.

United departs EWR around 9pm, arrives BQN around 1:35am and departs back to EWR at 2:49am.

The airport is really small. You'll deplane outside via stairs, walk into the one luggage baggage claim area and if you're not checking any luggage, have to wait for them to unlock to the door to the terminal. No customs or immigration as Puerto Rico is a US territory.

There's really not much in the terminal, a small cafe, store and the check-in counters. I had my return boarding pass so I just went to security. There's not a sign denoting this, but first class and premium passengers can use the crew lane on the left side to move to the front of the slow moving security line.

There's not much in the gate area - a few soda machines, some cheap booze and bathrooms, but you won't be there long if you're doing a mileage run. United boards early and initially without any announcements (the crew turns right around so they're motivated to get back to EWR).

It's a pretty easy turn - might be a little more challenging if you're checking luggage. I ran into at least three other folks doing MRs...

Cell coverage (AT&T) was great and cell service is considered US domestic.