FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:05 pm
chiil1974

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
Consider myself one of those folks who doesn't understand why there has to be "winners" and "losers" in the hub wars. I think the set up between the five legacy AA hubs and the three legacy US hubs sets the route network up nicely. Don't get me wrong, I am not naïve and understand there will be shifting of flights, etc. I honestly don't see any of the hubs becoming the next CVG or MEM in the next couple of years. TATL I foresee those airports which have service to the major European airports (LHR, CDG, AMS, FRA and MAD) keeping 90% of the routes. Where I see potential movement is the "second-tier" European airports. I think the big question is where will expansion to Asia come from? That is still the largest hole in the world's largest airline and I have to believe it's one that the new AA will look to address fairly quickly. Will flights be added from LAX (already running at full capacity) or will AA choose DFW or ORD? Does PHL get it's first non-stop flight to Asia (perhaps NRT) and will there be any love for JFK? That is what I think will be interesting.