FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My SPG Account Got Hacked
View Single Post
Old Dec 9, 2013, 10:48 pm
LIH Prem

Originally Posted by silverfalls
@David, On 29th Nov when I tried to change the password the maximum that I was able to use was 14 characters. I was issue Chrome, not sure if that's the maximum allowed now or its limited to chrome. I did not bother to check that. Also I had the same issue with American Express which did not allow more than 8 character until very recently.
14 might be fine, I didn't try that. I will next time. Thank you. And thanks for the reminder about Amex.

I know 16 didn't work for me, but 12 did.

12 or even 14 character passwords are not considered to be very strong these days. It doesn't matter if you use a password manager like roboform, 1password or last pass (all good products) if the site limits you to short combinations of characters. The password managers help by allowing you to create random combinations of characters that should be different for every site, but they can't overcome the site's limitations of only allowing limited/short passwords with restrictions on using special characters. But it is good advice to remind people to use a password manager and different passwords for each site to help minimize the risk when one site is compromised.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Dec 9, 2013 at 11:18 pm