FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Schwab Invest Visa? 2% cash back on everything? [Discontinued card]
Old Dec 7, 2013, 7:52 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

Fidelity Brokerage issues a free Amex card with a 2% rebate on all purchases. Being an amex card is really no problem in the USA for the most part as acceptance is almost the same as mc/visa. My insurance company takes mc/visa and not Amex for premiums although I can't offhand think of very many places else that don't take Amex in the USA (I'm sure there are).

In Europe, there are many places that take mc/visa and don't take Amex and the card does carry a 1% foreign currency conversion fee (I'm not sure it's a foreign transaction fee as in theory Amex does not allow dcc although I'm not sure what happens when you charge say British Airways tickets on it where I know mc/visa transactions even at US travel agencies are processed at British banis and hence with those cards subject to the 3% foreign transaction fee, you're nailed) but since the foreign transaction fee is 1% and you get a 2% cash rebate, you're even with the BofA 3-2-1 grandfathered card.

Pen Fed has a card with a 5% cash rebate on gasoline, no foreign transacction fee or annual fee although they now require a minimum account with them of $1,000 and alntoughh I have a card with an emv chip and it's one of those hybrid chip and pin cards several of the fcu's offer (chip and signature being default but able to function as chip and pin at many unpersonneled kiosks with verying degrees of success), I'm not sure if this card is still available with emv chip. I will have to check that out when it expires.