FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "What you're doing is not right."
View Single Post
Old Dec 6, 2013, 7:09 am
robbert

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by danielonn
Oh yea the back to back tickets now that is fraud. The OP should know that back to back tickets are illegal. I anticipate that someone from the United Social Media team will read this and forward this to the Fraud department if indeed the OP is buying and using back to back tickets.

You know after they find this out the OP can be banned from flying on United and other Star Alliance Carriers if United wanted to take it very far. The least of his worries is paying a fine for the money he stole from United.

I think there is something more to this story than the OP is telling us.

Now I see why the Supervisor said this is not allowed as back-to-back tickets are not allowed and its illegal. Throw Away Ticketing may be cheaper but its fraud.
This is another myth, back-to-back (which is not what the OP did) are NOT illegal, as in criminal. This will not put you in jail, it is simply against the rules that many airlines put forward. The most they could do is recalculate the fare based on a one-way and try to claim this from you. As far as I know this has never been done for the individual on an incidental back-to-back ticket, but there have been a few (older) reports of travel agents getting billed if they make a habit of selling such tickets. Nowadays, mostly becuase of the Southwest/Jetblue/AirTran effect, the majority of tickets are calculated based on one-ways and the whole issue is moot. It's probably most prevalent still with non-stop flights out of the major hubs without low-fare competition.