FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [PREM FARE GONE] RGN First class comes back again!!!!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:16 am
whimike

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by cruisr
IMHO I believe that LX will most definitely have to pay the other airlines for the carriage of the passenger. This of course will cost them, a lot. Maybe that will cost them the 15k x 1000 tkts.........
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If LX tickets for SQ, LX has to pay SQ. They are ticketing as agent for SQ.

I don't know what the YY fare is RGN-YUL, but SQ doesn't offer a fare RGN-ZRH (it didn't from the dummy booking I just tried to make).

Checking Expedia a fare for MH/SQ RGN-ZRH came in at ~USD9000 - although the SQ fare SIN-ZRH in suites was only around USD6000 - so they could knock a fair amount off that $9000 by constructing ticketing differently.

However - even allowing $1000 for RGN-SIN (to connect with the SQ suites for $6000) that still comes in at $7000 excluding carriage by LX. x1000.

That is the risk that LX took in canceling tickets. If they didn't cancel tickets, they would only have had to pay SQ, NH, et al, their % of the YY fare. LX cancelled simply so that they wouldn't have to honor segments on LX metal at this low cost. (I am not aware of any itineraries that had LX code-shares on other carriers metal in F) In fact, on some of the tickets I had on LX stock, they had NH code-shares of LH metal (and thus LH group would have earned full "A" fare for that leg from NH), offsetting any actual loss LX would have had transporting ZRH-YUL. (If we consider it from LH Group overall profits.)

The fact that LX is now on the hook for $15k/ticket is due to their actions of cancellation. Had they not cancelled their actual cost would have been a fraction of what it is now, the YY fare no longer exists and they will have to pay SQ, NH, et al the full price.

It is also worth pointing out that NH, SQ, etc... had no problem accepting the % of YY fare to transport passengers on their flights, even on LX ticket stock. Frankly, I think LX shot itself in the foot.