FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - just made 1k ,need help
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:08 am
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rgrobins
If you're concerned about points earning, I'd go with AMEX Plat. The points can be used as a dollar amount toward a ticket of your choosing. I use that when I need to combine award tickets with paid tickets minus AMEX redemption for group travel.

However, if you're a member of USAA, they offer 1.25% cash back credit cards. That's the best return I've seen from any rewards program.
I like my AMEX MR Gold, but AMEX is not a good choice for UA awards, as the points do not transfer to UA. Also, buying a revenue ticket with points provides a much lower level of value than an award redemption. Finally, the Platinum is not a particularly good choice for points earnings because it does not bonus based on purchase category (unlike the gold card which gives 3x for airline purchases and 2x for gas and supermarket purchases).

I second the recommendations for Chase Sapphire. Great card for spending and earning. Great transfer partners. And Chase customer service is very good, probably second best only to AMEX.