FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - just made 1k ,need help
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:52 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Trina0124
hello., I hope i am posting this in the right place, and can get my question worded correctly.
Ok, My husband always flying united for work (company buys all tickets).We live in USA, and he flies to Thialand every 28 days, then home 28days. He just received his 1k mileageplus card. We have no credit cards to earn miles, points etc.. We are not interested in upgrades, will take standard seating.. What we want to know, is what is the best card to get to be able to earn enough miles to take our 4 kids on a vacation to the bahamas.?
I have a washer and dryer that broke at same time, but don't want to buy now, in case that could go towards the amount we need to spend in 3 months to earn the points..IF i didn't make myself clear, please ask anything you would like.. I read and research alot, but i get more confused..Thanks to anyone who takes the time to give us advice.
What you want are three things. First, a credit card that rewards you with the most-possible miles in spending categories that you can take advantage of. Second, you want to try and get the 50,000 mile sign up bonus. You may have to settle for 30,000 miles, but 50,000 mile offers float around from time to time. And third, you want to convert as many of your routine cash expenses to credit card. Starbucks adds up. Groceries. Movies. Everything. And make sure it's his card, not yours, because miles he earns are worth far more than yours. As a 1K, any award ticket he "buys" inherits his status.

Sounds like you're looking for 35,000x4? The miles he's earning from his frequent BKK flights alone is going to get you that (in saver coach). If you're looking for first class, then you're going to need more.