FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Our Tribute To US Airways
View Single Post
Old Dec 3, 2013, 1:24 am
grahampros

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The US Airways that I flew over a million miles on is long gone. I remember flying in F circa 1990 from SNA to LGA and back. The SNA-SFO flight had dinner service. The F pax from SFO-CLT were given amenity kits (still have a couple) that were nicer than what you get today on international J. Elites were given one-way upgrade certificates (confirmable at booking). I think you were given 2 (or maybe 4) for every 10K miles you flew. And even though award flights were never easy to book. You could book an award ticket for any random date, then show up at the airport on the dates you wanted to travel, and go standby. I did this countless times both domestic and international. I only got "shafted" once during a 4th of July weekend. I started out as a "Priority Gold" elite. Then when "Priority Gold Plus" was introduced, I was that. When the program was renamed Dividend Miles, I was always Gold Preferred. After the merger, I reached Platinum Preferred. But then the "new" FF program became too much for me to consider beneficial. So I started crediting my US flights over to CO (then UA), where I was getting a larger elite bonus (until last year when UA devalued their FF program as well).
Those days are long gone on any US airline.