FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forum Member Affiliate Links Policy Reconsideration?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:46 pm
kipper
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JDiver
It's so easy to make these kinds of what I perceive as overly broad and dismissive statements when one is not aware of the issues these folks are faced with. Yep, that's my opinion... (and I am not one working on the TOS, or I could have been much more specific.)

Part of the problems include relying on a platform (our current version of vBulletin) that has its own trials and limitations - FT is by far the largest BBS using the platform and perhaps some day it will be able to move - but for now, it's like any large IT project one team took over from another - one chance may cause a number of unforeseen changes. (To make it even more interesting", IB maintains and operates over 100 websites.)

So, changing the TOS relies on this somewhat - the people assigned to redo the TOS, who have jobs, family life and volunteer on FT - and because the tech side is prettu busy bailing and caulking as well.

It's all interdependent - an easy idea easily becomes a technical challenge and a heat sink for volunteer time without plenty of running things by others, testing and checking with each side of the team, lest we silo off and create more problems than we attempt to solve.

Certainly nobody at Admin or Tech, or Mods, can read every single post. So we rely when possible on automated systems - if we did not, this board would be so smothered with Spam you wouldn't be able to find any wheat through the chaff. And even with those protocols, moderators are involved on a daily basis chasing the spam that managed to get through, or to read and approve the posts that got sent to a moderation queue before appearing online.

Some may confuse silence as "no action" - but it's not so. (It would be lovely to have unlimited resources and an army of people working on this, but those just don't exist.)

Sorry for your impatience - I hope you are gleaning some benefits from your presence here on FT. We like "seeing it get done" too, but there's a lot going on on the technical end that keeps people very busy - I say that genuinely.

Person years, dog years and - FT years, right?
Is it possible to implement a signature restriction prohibiting links, and have it automatically reject those that try to include it?