FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA A380 to HKG in PE/Y, IB Y/BA CE, Cheung Chau, MAD IB/CX Lounges and.... an FT Do!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:32 pm
PETER01
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

So now it was back to Madrid and over to the C gates this time in Y on a BA A321. I was in a window row near the back (row 23 iirc) and as it turned out the middle seat was left unoccupied which was nice. I would say the flight was about 2/3rd’s full. I fell asleep for most of the flight and I now had a 6 hour wait here.

Yes, a VERY long time and I had considered leaving and going into Madrid but I really was shattered. This flight’s from EDI-LHR-MAD-LHR-EDI was a miles flight and I couldn’t get any shorter connecting flight. As I said earlier I could have skipped the last leg on my HKG ticket but I didn’t want to run the risk of maybe losing the TP’s etc. As I love travelling anyhow this was no great hardship!

As I was leaving T4S at Madrid I was stopped by 3 very serious looking police officers who had asked where I had come from. I said Hong Kong, they had a quick look at me and waved me on. I was dressed fairly smart so maybe first impressions count? I went outside some fresh air and a cigarette although I suppose to any non-smokers reading that it does sound a bit odd.

Right, let’s get some photos Pete, I saw a cop nearby and explained to him I had a keen interest in photography and asked him if it was OK to take some picture in the terminal. Now I knew you could but it is always better to ask/inform them of my intentions as I was planning and did indeed take loads of pictures of the landside area in many parts of the terminal.

I liked the Architecture here and I couldn’t believe the HIGE line of taxis which I later saw and you can see in the photographs below. I went through Fats Track there and I was the only passenger. The Airport seemed very quiet indeed and as I would later find out so was the Iberia Lounge. My first impressions of this place is that it was HUGE in length and very open. Great views of the taxiways and some of the gates and the nearby small ‘hills’.

I was greeted with a very warm welcome by two very charming young Spanish ladies on duty at the reception there. I had a quick look around and started snapping away as there were only about 8 people in it! Then a small disaster……….my camera battery was about to run out and I didn’t have an EU adaptor. I asked at the reception with the view that they would probably say go and buy one but hey presto!!!!!!!! Out came a small basket with quite a few but I had to leave them my BP so I would return it. Fine.

I started charging my laptop and camera form the many power points that were available and all was well again. Silly me for not taking my usual International one as in HKG you just use the normal UK plugs they have there. Lots of food on offer and plenty of choices of drinks too. I think I have hopefully said enough now so here are the photos. I will confidently say that having been in many lounges across the world including some F ones this Iberia Lounge (open to OW Sapphires) was right up there with some of the best of them.

Really modern, clean, plenty of facilities, good internet speeds, showers, very nice food and with great views and nice furniture etc. Now If I came back here I would be more familiar with the set up and you can even opt to go on the IB A340 back to London in J (proper Business Class seats) for £35 and 15k Avios return from the UK.