FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA A380 to HKG in PE/Y, IB Y/BA CE, Cheung Chau, MAD IB/CX Lounges and.... an FT Do!
Old Dec 2, 2013, 3:29 pm
PETER01
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Right at the far end of the Lounge and the Showers are at the far right, walk past here and it takes you back towards the exit.

All in all a very nice if brief experience. Lots of hot food on offer, including some Chinese Dishes and more Western ones too. Hopefully someone can add more details about the Menus etc. but hopefully this link can answer any questions. An interesting site which has daylight photos of this lounge and it also has regular updates about other Lounges in the Far East, Australasia etc.

Click here

So boarding was fairly painless and I waited for most folks to get on first whilst I had a last ciggy in the smoking lounge right next to gate 62 where we were leaving from. I had a nice seat mate who was actually from Scotland too and we had a good conversation about many things (including the future Scottish Independence Referendum). Before I knew it 3 hours had passed and a nice meal was had. A small Salmon salad followed by a Tasty Chicken beef and Rice.

Here are some photos of the cabin. I was in seat 80K (exit row) which is in the rear UD ‘mini-cabin’. Although there was a toilet nearby this really wasn’t an issue and there was never more than one person waiting although it was a bit busier the last 40 minutes before landing. I found the exit seat to be very comfortable with obviously endless legroom. No folks congregated there either and to be honest of they had I would have probably mentioned this to CC as whilst there is plenty of legroom for the passengers there (me) they would have to be standing very close to you, especially on the aisle seat due to the curvature of the ceiling.

I stayed on until everyone had left, asked the crew if I could take some photos which they happily agreed to. Overall service on this flight was very nice. One thing to bear in mind perhaps for these seats near to the toilets is that I would (think) it would be a far busier area/queue forming if it were a daytime flight. No ‘whistling’ from the exit door here neither did I find it cold like it does on some other aircraft when seated in the exit rows.

Overall, a nice flight, decent food, great IFE and I slept for about 4 hours on this 12 hour and 20 minute flight overnight flight back. I arrived at LHR at about 5.20 p.m. still a bit tired still and I had about 4 hours until my last flight to Madrid which was leaving at around 9.25 am GMT.

I thought due to this lengthy connection I would head out through the UK Border, have a ciggy and a cup of tea but the place was heaving and the e-passport gates were all down. As I had stayed on board at the end of the flight the other BA flight (BA27 which leaves 15 minutes after the BA26, my flight) there were hundreds of people waiting to clear Immigration and Customs at LHR. I just turned around and went back to Flight connections, went through security which wasn’t that busy but they only had a few lanes open. Poor really, considering the BA overnight flights have been around a long time and they know how many passengers are arriving.

It took me nearly 30 minutes to get through (Fast Track!). It could be better managed though in my opinion. I headed for the South Lounge and had cereal, fruit juice and a few Bacon butties all with my favourite hot drink……….yes a Cup of Tea. I chatted with the Lounge Lady there and explained what had happened in Hong Kong. She said there won’t be a problem in getting into any BA Lounge as my ‘profile’ on her computer was showing I had 675 TP’s and she knew I was Silver. She also commented that for some reason this had happened to quite a few other customers but BA were aware of it and rectifying it.

Very friendly and she even wrote a note with my name on it for her late shift colleagues to ensure I would get access as I said I would be returning later in the day. Nice personal touch and very reassuring.