FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Forum Member Affiliate Links Policy Reconsideration?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 12:27 pm
goalie
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Finally the first talkboard member to show up
And here's another one chiming in

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I also oppose blog links as well as links to personal businesses.
As do I

Originally Posted by mia
Signatures are different from the content of posts because:

a) Only established members are permitted to have them.

b) No one needs to read them. Any member can block Signatures.

c) If that's not enough you can block all posts from specific members.
As to a: correct but that still doesn't prevent the issue/concern

As to b: While true that one doesn't have to read them and any member can prevent signatures from being viewed, that still doesn't address the issue of what I think is giving someone free advertising. Why not have it in the reverse where signatures are turned off by default and members must "opt-in" to have their signatures shown. Perhaps this way, (at least in the beginning) there might be fewer signatures to be reviewed. Or perhaps even eliminate signatures all together. I'm not saying these suggestions are perfect (or even close to being perfect) but as I said, why should we be giving someone free advertising?

As to c: Blocking/ignoring posts from specific members imho, is actually a detriment as where a member may have a referral link in their signature, some of their posts might actually be valuable and by "putting it on the member" to ignore that poster, valuable information may be missed.