FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - alaska trip with kids-planning help
View Single Post
Old Dec 2, 2013, 9:04 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by CPRich
I've been to 46 of the lower 49 and don't know where I could go glacier hiking, flying around the tallest North American mountain and landing on a glacier, riding a summer dogsled with an Ididarod winner, and ocean kayaking among whales, bald eagles, and various other critters within a 7-800 mile loop.

I'm sure Barrow and others are a very different experience, but I just don't see those as an enjoyable week-long vacation with 5-11 year old kids. Perhaps an adventurous adult that has been most "normal" places and is looking for a unique cultural experience. But not a 5 yr old, for a week. YMMV, I suppose.
I have to agree with you. Actually, Alaska is not a great place for 5 year old kids in general, but that is for a different discussion.

Yes, you can see most of the features you see in Alaska in the lower 48, but not in such a concentrated area like you can in Alaska. And certainly not in the abundance. I just returned from Haines, AK where there are up to 3,500 eagles in the Bald Eagle Preserve. Yes, you can see eagles in Wabasha, MN in a similar setting, but it is NOTHING like seeing them in the quantity near Haines, not to mention the fishing and flying habits they have near Haines. Similar differences to similar experiences can be said of other activities too.

I guess you just have to take all recommendations with a grain of salt and realize where they are coming from. People who live/have lived off the road system have a natural bias that it is the "better" or "best" way.