FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa, Safari in Maasai Mara Kenya, & Mauritius (UA J, SA J, XAK, LX J, AC J)
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:28 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
United Airlines
Business Class
ORD-GRU (Chicago O’Hare Terminal 1 – Sao Paulo Guarluous )
UA 845 – Business Class (I)
9:25 PM – 11: 40 AM
November 4, 2013
Booked: Boeing 777-200
Flown: Boeing 777-200 - Flight was cancelled due to mechanical issues (radar)

I was pretty stoked to try the United Business First long haul product. A full flat bed, large TV and no fuel surcharges on reward tickets. What’s not to like? Unfortunately the flight didn’t pan out for us as you will read here. I’ve decided to include what we experienced here for the benefit of others who face cancelled flights on tickets and how we dealt with it.

At about an hour before the flight, we left the country club and walked over to Gate C18 A. Tonight’s boarding was through a double bridge boarding with separate boarding counters for Group 1, First and Business, and patrons of the Global First Lounge. A document check at the counter was also conducted for the Brazil Visas needed for most passengers.

On board we settled into a comfortable, but narrow seat. I personally found the seats a little compact when lying down. As a 6ft 2 inch tall person, I had to curl up a bit to lie flat in the seats. We had 3 windows to our seat on the Boeing 777-200.

A pre departure beverage offered. Tonight it was sparkling wine in the "elegant" picnic plastic cup. Looking around, there was not much sign of wear and tear on tonight’s plane.

Giant IFE screen – or giant by comparison to what is normally on offer out there today.

Menus presented. Orders taken while at seat.

Flight crew offered newspapers from the cart, including Financial Times and The Wall Street Journal.

The flight attendent handed out Amenity Kits. These were well stocked and the United kits is personally one of my favourites and the best Business Class Amentiy Kit we received on the trip.

As we buttoned up to depart, I decided to listen to Channel 9 on the way out. Unfortunately, I was able to hear that a mechanical issue with the aircraft’s radar had identified itself. We were nearing the hold line and we ended up parking on a taxi way while the flight deck attempted to re-boot the system.

After about 30 minutes, the decision was made to return to the gate and off load the plane along with all our personal effects. The plan was to have the United engineers trouble shoot the system. United planned to open the United Club for travelers in First and Business to accommodate us while they fixed the aircraft.

I’ve never seen a line like this rushing for the United Club.

Unfortunately, the bar staff had gone home and the only left was leftover silos and the instant coffee machines.

After about an hour, ground staff announced that they were ready for re-boarding. Everyone crushed together the holding area gates. To make matters worse, the supervising gate agent announced that although the problem hadn’t completely been fixed, if the plane were to leave tonight, that the ground staff had 40 minutes to get the plane fully loaded with all passengers completely seated otherwise the crew would be illegal and over time. Somewhere, somehow, they were given the green light and we all rushed on board, eager to get underway.

Boarding was completed in record time, door promptly closed, and we taxied out to the runway. New amenity kits were quickly issued.

We held at the hold line for the runway. I was listening again to Channel 9 and heard the first officer chatting with Air Traffic Control about the same problem again. Channel 9 cut out and was immediately replaced with Two Princes from the Spin Doctors – yeesh. Another problem. Obviously one they didn’t want us hearing about... Shortly afterward, the decision was made to cancel the flight for the evening and we returned back to the gate for a second time.

I started to contingency plan in order to fix what was left of our travel plans...

Last edited by worldtraveller73; Dec 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm