FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Luxury Hotel
View Single Post
Old Nov 26, 2013, 6:13 am
robyng
In memoriam

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I agree FS Canary Wharf does provide excellent value, but since I am not a frequent visitor to London staying there is not a compromise I am willing to make. I would rather target high value upgrades and occasional promotions (e.g. third night free) at top hotels, such as FS Park Lane, the upcoming Peninsula, The Connaught, and Covent Garden Hotel.

In cities I visit infrequently that have great hotels, I want perfection every time. I am more likely to focus on value in cities that I either visit frequently, or cities in which the best hotels aren't that great to begin with.
I do the same in terms of looking at promotions and the like. But they seem to be few and far between when it comes to London today (although that of course is subject to change - many properties haven't loaded their 2014 promos at this point). Perhaps it's a supply/demand thing. OTOH - there seem to be a lot of new hotels in the pipeline for London - including a new Four Seasons:

http://www.londontown.com/London/New-Hotels-in-London

So perhaps more supply will loosen things up a bit. Especially when it comes to older often outdated properties. Like the FS Park Lane. Where all the rooms are < 400 sf and entry level rooms are < 300 sf - very 70's. I don't care how you renovate these rooms - they're still small. OTOH - perhaps FS will do with this property what it did with the old FS Toronto - turn it into condos (just rank speculation on my part). I imagine condos in this area would fetch a mighty pretty penny - especially in London's current real estate market. Robyn