FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sofia Hotel Balkan, a Luxury Collection Hotel (was Sheraton) Bulgaria [Master Thread]
Old Nov 24, 2013, 2:20 pm
EuropeanPete

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed here over the weekend. I quite liked it, but it's definitely a game of managing your expectations.

The hotel was deserted - could not have been more than 5% full. I saw two German backpackers, three British cabin crew whose airline I couldn't figure out and a handful of supremely beautiful women walking aroud bny themselves. I also saw the usual Eastern European prostitutes hanging around, so if these others were in the same game they were in a different league.

I paid 60EUR a night which has to be one of the lowest rates for any SPG property in Europe. I used a couple SNAs and got upgraded to an Executive Suite - at least 1,000 sq ft. Pretty amusing really.

The hotel itself is very dated, but in the context of Bulgaria I can forgive them for the time being. With the arrival of the Design hotel around the corner there's a lot more competition for savvy foreign visitors and given the total lack of occupancy I wonder whether the hotel has a future in its current state. The building is literally *the centre* of Sofia though, so it'll presumably live on in some form.