FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton London Gatwick Airport {GBR}
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:03 am
lfc84

I booked a room at the LGW Hilton and it was disgusting. I arrived at 1pm and immediately left the hotel for the day. I was running late due to a delayed flight. I returned around 10pm and it was only then that I took a look at the room. It was dreadful. I raised my concerns with the front desk who offered to move me to an exec room however I was just about to go to bed and I planned to check out around 7.45am. I received an email from the DM a few hours after check out stating he had refunded my stay.

I've sent the photos of the room to the DM.

Here's a link to the photos of the room

https://picasaweb.google.com/1008024...eat=directlink

My comments by email to the hotel

<snip> - repeat of above paragraphs

1. Paint missing and damage to bathroom door
2. Rusted bathroom door hinges
3. Mould on bathroom floor
4. Paint missing and damage to bath panel
5. Paint missing on wardrobe shelf
6. Presumably part of a condom wrapper on the floor
7. Large amount of dust on sockets and skirting
8. Plaster missing from wall near window
9. Damaged lamp stand
10. Mould in sink overflow and plug hole
11. Mould on bathroom grout
12. Bathroom sealant placed over the top of original mouldy sealant
13. Multiple holes in duvet cover
14. Wobbly table which was coming apart. Partially rectified by using in room dining and guest information to steady it
15. Dirt / scuffs on paintwork
16. Dust on the bottle opener attached to doorframe in bathroom
17. Dust on bathroom wall lights
18. Yellowed shower curtain hooks
19. Yellowed bathroom extractor fan

My company has held meetings at the hotel business suite earlier this year and the public areas / meeting rooms did not prepare me for the poor standard of guest accommodation that I encountered.

It is quite clear that the hotel has budgeted and planned for the refurbishment programme that is currently underway and as a result rooms have been allowed to deteriorate over a very, very long period. The standard of the room has clearly been neglected for a long period of time. Given the condition of the room it is clearly not a one off event. This is an example of poor maintenance and poor housekeeping over an extended period of time. It would seem that the room has never had a deep clean. I would find it hard to believe that I am the first occupant to have informed the front desk about the condition of this room.

I have three overnight stays at the airport planned during January, along with one in April. There are potentially additional nights at the airport as well, however it is highly unlikely that I will choose the Hilton again.

I’m a Platinum member at IHG and I have had numerous additional nights in other hotels but I cannot remember such a poor standard of accommodation prior to now.

Thank you for the refund – it is appreciated and saves me asking. On a positive note the breakfast was very good this morning.