FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)
Old Nov 23, 2013, 8:34 pm
muji

Can stopover in HNL on SEA-TYO itinerary?

I would like to use AA miles to fly SEA-TYO via HNL: SEA-HNL, then stopover for 2-3 days in Honolulu, then HNL-TYO.

For SEA-HNL I would fly on partners AS or HA; for HNL-TYO I would fly on partner JAL.

I just called AA to confirm that I could do this (as a single itinerary, i.e. 25,000 o/w in economy or 50,000 o/w in business), but was told that this was not possible - I would need to pay for two awards (to cover the 2 segments).

I have read that "Awards between North America & Europe, Asia, India, or Central/South America: You can have a stopover, but it has to be in the North American gateway city - a city from which you either arrive or depart from North America on a non-stop international flight to an international destination outside North America." Since Honolulu is considered to be an AA gateway city, it seems that my plan should be allowed. Is it not allowed because I would be flying on partner airlines (not on AA flights)?

I am hoping that the phone agent I just spoke with gave me incorrect information. Could someone advise me on my proposed itinerary; is it possible to do it as one itinerary?