View Single Post
Old Nov 23, 13, 10:16 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post
I too would like to know the smallest electric rice cooker or travel kettle to travel with.
While I was mainly asking about packing spices for culinary vacations or extended stints in culinary wastelands, I have occasionally had to bring an appliance or two for other reasons.

The smallest rice cooker is the Takeru rice cooker and food warmer. This is the style I would recommend as it has a clip to keep the lid and accessories secure for travel and has the weight, size and looks of a large lunch thermos (bento) so hotel staff shouldn't give you much trouble over cooking in your room. The downside to this is that there does not seem to be one that is dual voltage. If you have a Japanese department store near you, you may be able to find this or something very similar in the $20-30 range. Wolfgang Puck used to have something just like this on QVC, Amazon and then woot! going for $25 but it is now discontinued.

I've used a 220v version of this cooking plain foods for an elderly friend I accompanied on a 2 1/2 week European tour. He has digestion/absorption issues due to severe starvation during his youth as a POW in WWII.