FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Richmond TSA screener Michael Luedecke arrested for shooting his father
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:19 pm
chollie
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Thank you. This is my point. SPOT is (a) aimed at passengers, not fellow TSA employees, and (b) only designed to look for threats to aviation.

To criticize TSA for not identifying Luedecke ahead of time with a program that was never designed for that purpose is preposterous. Furthermore, TSA advocates will point out how preposterous it is, and use that to continue to justify current TSA practices.

We have plenty of good reasons to criticize TSA for the manner in which it appears to screen its own employees. We also have plenty of good reasons to criticize the SPOT program. Why confuse matters by bringing unrelated topics together? Our criticisms will be far more effective if we stick to the point, rather than just issuing knee-jerk criticisms of anything with a TSA label attached.

(Oh, wait, this is the Internet. Never mind. Carry on with the knee-jerk criticisms, then ...)
(bolding mine)

Come on, you can't be serious.

I agree, they focus 100% on pax (and, as we saw at one eastern airport, they focused on pax that fit certain physical criteria - dress or apparent ethnicity) and not on each other.

But to be able to distinguish that someone's antsy because they're an aviation threat vs. someone's antsy because they're headed for a job interview or they're smuggling a joint or dreading a karate chop from a groper?