FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA tries to get woman to sign NDA to get vet bills paid (PetSafe program)
Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:02 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
In the real world -- far, far away from FT -- it is not only common, but almost uniform to require that settlements be confidential. Any lawyer who advises a commercial customer otherwise is a fool and any company which does so is foolish.

It does not, in fact, hurt the carrier's brand. Bad stuff happens every day all across the world on airlines, in car services, at hotels & restaurants. 99.99% of the time, the NDA works, the customer is satisfied and the public never hears about it. In the miniscule # of matters where the issue goes public, it's a big nothing other than in places far, far, far away from the real world, such as FT.
If my dog was just injured (not permanently), then it would probably be possible to pay me to shut up. But if my dog was killed? I doubt it. And the story mentions that there are several hundred of THOSE types of cases a year.