FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award ticket purchase in a future name
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:10 am
dcpatti

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by KristenP

Question if I booked with maiden name:
I understand that I could book a ticket in my maiden name and then fly with a passport in my maiden name. But does it send off alarms if I change my name legally and then travel with a passport in my old name that technically doesn't exist anymore? I am more worried during customs that when they scan the passport that something happens. Or are the computer systems not that smart.
There's no linkage between the passport database and your drivers license database or the county clerk's office. I know quite a few women who have changed names on their drivers license or even just wiht the clerk of the court, and not changed their passports, and travelled in and out of the country just fine.

Originally Posted by KristenP

Question if I book with new married name:
As it is when I book a flight for someone else I can’t get them in a preferred seat unless I am on the PNR, wouldn't this be like booking a rewards flight for another person. And would there be problems if I put my DM account number under another person’s name (my future married name).
Yes, that is correct. You shouldn't change your name till you are ready to change your DM account, and you shouldn't change your DM account till you're ready to change your name. Book the ticket in the name you wish to fly under but if that is your married name, start the DM name change process now.

Or you can be plebian like me and just not change your name