FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2014 Status Buyback and "Boost" program [Status exception "grace" for 2013?]
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:42 pm
bdemaria
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
While I would not call AA now to ask for a bump up (since the answer will be "just fly more"), I suspect that if you call or email on 1/1 and ask to be made GLD AA will oblige. First of all, there is typically a tiny bit of leeway, and second (probably more important), you said you are 52 points from GLD, implying that you earn more EQP than EQM and are a higher value customer to AA (probably purchasing either last minute full-fare tickets or first class tickets) and they should want to keep you.

Someone who buys two full-fare r/t F tickets ORD-LHR will be about 1,000 EQP shy of GLD but is probably a far more profitable customer to AA than the EXP who qualifies based on a bunch of $300 fares.
In the past, I would have said "dont worry" but I'm not sure so this year. The "boost" program is pretty clear: buy up if you fall between 20,000 -24,999 EQM or EQP.

W/that said: it seems to me that since the boost program comes into play in January, the OP can wait it out, and if AA won't bump him/her - then the boost is an option.

Last edited by bdemaria; Nov 20, 2013 at 7:00 am