FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using Credit Cards in China - The Great CC Rip Off (dynamic currency conversion)
Old Nov 19, 2013, 12:36 pm
odahcam

Originally Posted by percysmith
Moondog's here for a day and we met up for drinks.

When it's time to pay moondog tried paying with his USD card...and promptly got verbage

Although it's a carbon slip I concluded he's been DCCed already:
- no input by waitress/manager at the terminal during/after slip printout
- "I have chosen *not* to use the Mastercard Currency conversion process" already pre-printed.

Moondog did a very, em, aggressive interrogation of the restaurant manager.
We got the standard "circle HKD and you'll pay HKD" statement at first.
We drilled further. He further stated there is no input he will make during or after the transaction - he voided moondog's slip and did a limited repeat of the card charge up to the point where he had to key in HKD - he says he does not make any input after that point.
(He then suggested moondog check with his USD bank and I was worried moondog will take his head off for saying it)

We also pointed to a note above the terminal:
"Function 22: tip adjustment
Function 24: charge the card in HKD"

We repeatedly asked for application of Function 24. The manager said he cannot do that. Function 22 can only be done in HKD.

7.7523 is the exchange rate so the scalp is 4.4%. The slip is also non-compliant for not disclosing spread.

The terminal belongs to HSBC/Global Payments.

So what would have happened had you written in a tip in HKD and then totalled it in HKD? How would they adjust for that?