FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coin - [No referral links] Single Card To Replace All the Plastic in Your Wallet
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:41 am
AllieKat

You don't understand what I'm saying. We're going to be rapidly moving to EMV cards. If you clone the magnetic stripe of an EMV card you CANNOT use it in an EMV-enabled terminal because the service code on the card says "use IC where feasible"

I'm not saying Walmart won't accept a card without a chip. I'm saying that, very soon (and some stores already) they won't allow you to use the stripe of a card with a chip. Granted, you can bypass this by jamming a card in the chip slot a few times (making it think the chip is broken), but this will be more hassle, will eventually lead to declines by your bank, and will only add to the "what on earth are they doing - NO WAY" to any competent cashier allowing the use of Coin.

Cloning the stripe of an EMV card doesn't magically make it appear to be a card without EMV. That's the point of EMV, if it were that easy, EMV wouldn't help anything.