FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2002. The time when agents could think outside the box.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:01 pm
mecabq

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
My golden age on United was around 2002-2005. I used to fly at least a couple of times per month from IAD. Many times, due solely to my own irresponsibility (leaving the office late), I arrived at the airport too late and missed my afternoon/evening flights. Every single time, the 1K check-in counter accommodated me with a smile and with no cost. (I was usually on a mid-priced restricted eco ticket.) I remember once it happened on Delta, where I also had status, and the agent said, talk to the phone, pointing to the phone bank behind check-in.

That was the main reason (even more than with SWUs) why I valued 1K status so much, and really considered United a premium airline that took care of its best customers.

I haven't been on the domestic-commute slog since then, but I wonder if road warriors can expect the same treatment now?