FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2002. The time when agents could think outside the box.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:59 pm
Starblazer

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
In today's environment (and this probably speaks for every airline and/or customer facing jobs), I don't see that new customer service reps are trained to troubleshoot, brainstorm or think out of the box. They are taught to check people in, board airplanes, do the basics of customer service. If they are lucky they will receive training in good/better/best/excellent customer service and how to give it with sincerity and a smile.
using cheezy actors and IAH style indoctrination. We were told in class to ignore the transaction time (because we all knew SHARES didnt work that fast)... but, really, this. Just like how they are cutting costs by outsourcing to regionals (and the downward spiral of pay), the same is happening with ground handling. I've talked to people who have said, first hand, "Yeah, I was at XYZ and (whatever pretty interface the airline uses) broke and the agent didn't know what to do... so I offered my help and actually boarded my own flight to ZZZ". This isn't limited to just UA, it's any major that's cutting costs by cutting in-house staff and finding cheap vendors that cheap out on training and would rather pump bodies through than invest time in them.

Last edited by Starblazer; Nov 15, 2013 at 11:04 pm