FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Wolgan Valley Trip Report (New South Wales, Australia)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:26 pm
sfoactuary

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Great report so far - has there been any damage locally from the recent bush fires - I imagine you saw a lot of burnt trees on your way through the Blue Mountains.

If you're still there and will be driving back to Sydney ask the hotel for directions back through the delightfully named Bell's Line of Road through Bilpin, Kurrajong, Richmond, etc - one of my favourite drives in Oz.

BTW - a few weeks ago I spent a few days on a friend's farm in a similarly wonderful setting a bit to the east of where you are - unfortunately I didn't have my own plunge pool but it was free! Just sitting on her porch overlooking her paddocks with a glass of chilled chardonnay in the evening listening to the wildlife especially the birds was wonderful - I imagine Wolgan Valley is the same. Oh and horse riding was the only activity available unless you count walking around her property!
Thanks for the recommendation, we will definitely inquire this morning during check-out! We actually did not see much damage during the drive due to the bush fires, but it was certainly a hot topic that many of the guides mentioned. Perhaps the damage was further inland away from the main roads.

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
The food looks wonderful.
Mr and Mrs Smith have 4 nights for the price of 3 until 14th Dec. http://www.mrandmrssmith.com/luxury-...and-spa/offers
That's a great deal - if we didn't have the rest of our honeymoon itinerary already booked out, I would even consider extending! Apparently that happens quite often, especially for guests that only book 2 nights, they just can't bring themselves to leave and end up staying for a 3rd.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
great details and photos, especially wildlife, and the food/menus are always appreciated.

"Special ice sculpure with ice cream to celebrate our honeymoon" - impressive.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Wolgan Valley is my favourite resort in Australia - glad it is finally being recognised.
Originally Posted by halibahs
thanks for the detailed report!
brings back wonderful memory of our stay there, their F&B is absolutely fantastic!
agree with quitecontrary, Bell's line of Road is much better way to get into Wolgan than going via the touristy Katoomba.
Glad to share! The food was truly exceptional and was like we were eating at a 5* restaurant every day for every meal.

Originally Posted by Ericka
Looks like reason enough to go to Australia! Thank you for this truly exceptional report and pictures.

This property has been on my bucket list for a while now. We're just waiting for an equally worthy Great Barrier Reef resort.
According to the staff, the resort guests are approximately 75-80% locals (remaining 20% of foreign guests primarily from USA) which was consistent with our experiences. So we got to chat with quite a few Aussies, and most of them gave Qualia at the GBR rave reviews.