FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tambo del Inka, Urubamba, Peru [Master Thread]
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:35 am
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
http://www.worldclimateguide.co.uk/climateguides/peru/
Originally Posted by RafKa
I second everyone's praise for Thunderroads amazing review, and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on my (good) dilemma:

Am planning a trip to the area in January. I was originally planning 4 nights at Tambo del Inka, and 1 night at Palacio del Inka. But since then, I decided to take advantage of the Plat requal promo of 35% off redemption, and therefore it would make sense to spend 5 nights here, for a grand total of 31,200 points. Will I be missing out by not spending at least a night in Cuzco? Can I effectively visit Cuzco (and Pissac) on a day trip from TdI?
Thanks!

I hear you re the desire to maximize your points. But I agree with AAB and SF that Cuzco is well worth at least a day or two. For one thing, it has Sacsayhuaman, which I'd consider the second most impressive Inca ruins after Machu Picchu. Plus some good restaurants, shops, cathedrals and squares that have a lot going on (including, at the main square, restaurants where you can relax over a meal and drink while gazing down on the action below). And while you can get nice sweaters and other alpaca goods in other places, its many shops have the best selections.

Will your visit to Peru include places other than the Sacred Valley? If so, you might cut out something so that you can spend the time you'd like in both Urubamba and Cuzco. For example, I'd keep time in Lima to an absolute minimum.

Finalle, be award that January is the rainiest time of year in that part of the country. People still go then and have great times; you might just get on-and-off showers, with some sun. But you also run the risk of longer stretches of rain, which would especially be a drag if you're visiting Machu Picchu. Here is a month-by-month climate guide to parts of Peru, FYI:

http://www.worldclimateguide.co.uk/climateguides/peru/

Last edited by Thunderroad; Nov 14, 2013 at 12:41 am