FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)
Old Nov 13, 2013, 1:36 pm
ILovetheReds

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by steved5480
Perhaps I'm confused... unless something has changed since Sunday, Southwest uses *ALL* of the C Gates at LAS (and a chunk of the B gates as well).

I'm thinking this reference is to the D & (older) C checkpoint that is "upstairs" on what is essentially the mezzanine above the south end of baggage claim. Access from the ticket counters is up the escalators that are more-or-less in the center of the ticket counter/check-in area, then a long walk to the east (you're actually crossing the road below) followed by a right-turn and a long walk to the south (the baggage claim area is below and on your left at this point).

Somebody somewhere in another thread had commented that the TSA clerks often have the chain/gates closed-off and have to manually allow people thru to access the C gates after clearing this Checkpoint.

Access to the other/newer Checkpoint for the C (and A/B) gates is way down at the far south end of the Southwest ticket counters (to your left as you face the counters) and up a shorter escalator. This is where the elite line/employee line is on the left (essentially at the top of the escalators) and I noticed the clerks had their fancy new podium-attached scanners (although not in-use Sunday).
Whenever I fly out of LAS on DL it's the D gates. If you have precheck you go through the C security entrance instead (not sure why they only have precheck at C and only the first class/premium line at D) and then after clearing you make a left to get to the tram for the D gates.

It's been a while since I have flown out of LAS on AA, but last time I did it was the same security entrance as Delta and I thought it was the C gates.

I was thinking southwest used the A/B gates.