FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:00 am
Superguy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by radiowell
I agree. I don't know if AA/US will abandon PHX like they abandoned LAS, but the key thing is that PHX is basically a WN hub. US/HP has a history with WN, and they react either by ramping up to compete against WN at the hub (e.g. present day PHX) or by just waving the white flag (e.g. LAS).

The fact that HQ moving/staying to DFW is telling. And DAL/MDW/LAX/PHX (and to a lesser extent, BWI) is one too many WN hubs near or at the AA/US hubs.
I don't think PHX is in as much danger as people think. I don't see PHX ever being an international hub due to the heat causing problems (maybe seasonal winter flights). However, PHX has one thing LAX doesn't have - expandability. There's plenty of space to grow at PHX if needed. LAX is very constrained.

I could see LAX taking a more international focus, with routes to hubs and select major cities. PHX then would take a more domestic focus, with some select international routes, like the BA PHX-LHR and Mexico/Central America.