FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Great Alaskan Beer Run. Oktoberfest Alaska Style.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:47 am
CDKing
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Great Alaskan Beer Train - Part 1

After resting for an hour, I decided id rather be early for the train than to risk missing it. I decided to cancel the shuttle and make the mile or so walk to the station

Chooo Chooo

Terminal building

Loading up

I made my way to the upper deck on the front car. On the normal trains this is reserved for Gold Star (Business class) passengers. Not very many people went up here. I guess they were scared of falling down the stairs

Scary if one were drunk.

The menu for today. The event is put on by Glacier Brewhouse. I figured it was going to be one item from each course but I was oh so wrong. No one was going to leave hungry

We were given 6 drink tickets good for 1/2 pint each. Additional beers were $4. There were 6 beers available so you could try each one without having to buy more. My favourite ended up being the Porter

Welcome everyone

IPA Pretzel Bites with Cracked Sea Salt
Amber Moosetard & White Cheddar & Jalapeño Ale Queso

Hefeweizen Salmon Caviar with Crème Fraiche
Stout-Spent Grain Cracker with Fresh Chive & Lemon Zest
I overhead the caviar is normally bought up by Japan but the owner managed to hold back a few pounds. I didn't care for it,way too fishy for me.

The best part about the gold star section is there is an outside area for fresh air and much better photo ops. even though it was sold out there was a lot of room. When I went during the summer the year before it was hard to get a good viewing spot but not on this trip. We were on our way for the 4.5 hour round trip journey to Portage and back.

Brrrrrr it was really cold outside. The one other person with a DSLR, who happened to be areal photographer offered to take my photo.

The Alaskan Ceviche was good but I couldn't get a photo as it was handed to me when I was outside taking photos. cant shoot one handed that well

I found an empty table when i saw a server bringing the salads
Stout Glazed Alaskan Beets & Spent Grain–Pecan Crusted Chevre
Baby Arugula, Hefeweizen-Citrus Vinaigrette & Fresh Raddish

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 10, 2013 at 7:42 pm