FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:53 pm
DCdeacon

Programs: AA EXP
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, because it feels like a very rookie question given how long I've hung around these boards. But here goes, and I thank you in advance for your knowledge...

My wife and I have a trip later this month:

CLT-ORD (UA)
ORD-WAW (LO)
WAW-BUD (LO)
PRG-FRA (LH)
FRA-IAD (LH)
IAD-CLT (US)

I've actually never flown on a mixed partner international itinerary like this before, and I just want to understand how things are actually going to play out at the airport, at check-in, etc.

To begin, when I check in for CLT-ORD through United, am I going to be able to get BP's all the way to BUD? Or once I get to ORD, am I going to have to check in again with LO? It's confusing because my UA PNR shows all outbound trip segments (CLT-ORD-WAW-BUD), whereas my LO PNR only shows the segments that are actually flown on LO (ORD-WAW-BUD). So I'm not clear how this works.

Basically, once we check in initially, are we set? Or do we have to do it all over again for each carrier? I always tend to at least try and check in online the night before (I know that doesn't always work when flying internationally), but didn't know if I need to separately check in on UA, and then go to the LOT website and check in there as well. Or, once we land in ORD, if we have to physically walk to the LO check in counter, and check in there.

Besides this, are there any other considerations we should be aware of as first time mixed-alliance partner flyers?

Thank you!