FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Halong Bay Cruise Recommendation
View Single Post
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:12 am
as219

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by astroflyer
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm in the process of planning a Vietnam trip right now.

We want to do a 3 day/2 night trip. I'm ideally looking at mid-range prices...something in the $150- low $200's range would be good. Lots of suggestions for super-luxurious trips. Having kayaking included is a must for me. Any suggestions? I'm a little worried that the majority of TripAdvisor reviews are fake.

I'm also seeming to find that it might be cheaper to book through an agency...sort of baffling that they can get a better price than going directly through the boats.

Thanks!
I can't speak to the cheaper cruises, but it's definitely the case that going through an agency is the way to go price-wise. You save from 15-50%. It's weird, I agree, but I suspect that so few people book cruises independently that (a) the cruise lines prefer to farm out bookings to agencies rather than handle it in house and (b) it may be that cruise lines post inflated prices in order to make the actual prices -- the ones charged by agencies -- look more attractive. Who knows?

We booked through Asia Tour Advisor and were pleased with the experience all around. I woud recommend them without hesitation. Corresponding with them was strange given the 12-hour delays, and it was a bit unsettling sending off $1000 to a company I couldn't find much information about, but their prices were right, and I got them to put in unambiguous writing a number of important conditions we had for the trip (i.e., a suite with private terrace on a specific boat). I get the impression that the less you pay, the more likely you are at the last minute to be switched to another boat of the same class, which might or might not be acceptable to you. If you see a specific boat you like, and want to book that boat, I would try to get in writing precisely what you expect, in case there are problems.

P.S. Kayaking was one of the (many) highlights of our cruise. I found my way into secluded grotto and enjoyed some of the most profound silence I've ever experienced. The water isn't very inviting, but the scenery sure is!