FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Americans and Cuba Travel - the Facts, Resources, Related Experiences [only]
Old Nov 5, 2013, 5:09 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
From my understanding, the concern was people taking photos of schoolchildren for purposes other than scholarly, shall we say. Lots of ways to technically be in violation, but I suspect nobody'll worry about parades, groups, etc. Nonetheless, it is a law.

You are quite correct - there are lots of groups, with various activities (those taking tourists pretty much have to be "people to people" and meet certain criteria <pdf link> - other than that, almost every budget and kind of activity is included.

And VidaNaPraia, those U S Citizens who choose to go "though the back door" must understand they can be subject to sanctions. If they choose to do so in an informed and deliberate manner, well, then, there they go. But it is not without risk.

Originally Posted by ksandness
Oops, I guess I unwittingly broke a Cuban law when I photographed a group of uniformed schoolchildren out on an excursion. Nobody said anything, though.

I'd like to add that all kinds of groups are offering legal tours to Cuba from the U.S. these days. There's no longer any reason to go illegally.