FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA Today: Phoenix airport screening draws angry complaints
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:53 am
Boggie Dog
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I forgot to mention in the earlier response to this, TSA did not confiscate the items, the process is TSA discovers what is believed to be a firearm (or is a confirmed firearm), and they contact the local LEOs - that is essentially the end of TSAs participation with the exception of taking a photo, and filing the incident report that goes with it. All other steps are taken by the LEOs - so TSA did not confiscate the items, if they were confiscated, it was done by the local LEOs.

The picture looks like a normal staging for record keeping based on LEO protocols I have seen. It has the container laid open, the bullets removed from the mags and the weapon superimposed on a plastic laycard that appears to be similar to the ones used in investigative imagery (similar to the ones used at crime scenes to give a size/dimension comparison). TSA does none of that, TSA simply wants the image of the weapon for reporting purposes (the incident report). As soon as the weapons are identified or discovered (many times still in the xray machine), LEO is contacted and TSA simply maintains the weapon in situ until the LEO arrives. Once they arrive, it is the LEOs situation and process from that point forward.

Every story always has 3 sides, sometimes all 3 sides coincide, sometimes 2 sides coincide, and sometimes none coincide. I currently have nothing to dispell the stories I have read on the internet/news sites. I have nothing to give clarity on the incident from the side of TSA (and at this point, I do not anticipate any other information to come out on the behalf of TSA). Also, please take into account that I am not on the reporting list for cases like this, I am not given a list of printouts, emails or even summaries of investigations and the like - so I am essentially as in the dark on information on this situation as you are. I have also said that I think it should have been handled better, and that proper redress should be applied, I have nothing more to give you. I am not in management, I have not been made privvy to the information from statements by the TSOs or other employees in the area when it went on, and yet you are asking me, as an employee of the organization (and a pretty low on the ladder one at that), to recommend the termination of all involved, based simply on accounts by one point of view, the video tape - which has no audio, and a complete lack of information as to what was holding the process up from the TSA point of view? I am not in a position to speak on what happened past the statements I have already made, so again, I have nothing else to give you.
In most cases a passenger with a prohibited item is given the opportunity to chrck the item, give to someone, return it to their vehicle, or other such options.

Why isn't this the case with weapons?

In regards to PHX I think all that was being asked was your opinion on what proper redress should be based on information publically available.

I would assume that TSA has policies in place for screenings that don't fit the cookie cutter format. Was policy followed in this case and if not should people not be held accountable?