FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seriously??? 8 vodka minis served by FC FA to one Passenger?
Old Nov 2, 2013, 8:31 am
jerseyfinn

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
A very predictable thread

I'm a 'late comer' to this party, but as soon as I saw the OPs comments, I knew it opens a FT Pandora's box. Methinks the problem here is that the point raised here is fundamentally an aesthetic argument and as we all know, one really can't argue aesthetics. The pax in question is doing his own thing & apparently not bothering anyone. So it's difficult to judge this one way or another.

That said, I find lots of good quotes throughout these threads that I react to here.:

Its really sad when I meant to post a message regarding excessive drinking and then .......s like "burlax" takes it way off the beaten path. MOD - Please delete posting... It isn't worth the dumbASS comments.
-- on FT one can't get upset when the tide turns against them. It's not personal, but folks will indeed respond with their hearts and one has to accept the consequences of hitting the send button.

When I see people seriously boozing it up in F, I always wonder if they are just doing it because the booze is free. Or they are just big-time alcoholics.
-- a good take on human nature & how some folks might approach flying, especially in FC when UG or on a paid ticket

Eight minis in an hour is not responsible social drinking. I would not want to be seated next to that pax and would expect the FA to exercise better judgment.
-- definitely a possibility depending upon the affect/behavior of the imbiding pax; but not necessarily true of all instances. America's politics may be hot, testy, and impolite, but this trend has yet to reach the airline cabin

what were the items and amounts they took from the snack basket?
-- although a tongue-in-cheek question, it raises the point that eating whilst imbiding slows alcohol absorption -- this theory does not work with Philadelphia Eagles fans as they throw up and revert straight to alcohol again

As someone famous said, "Let he without sin cast the first stone"... Have we found a winner - the one without sin?
-- That would be me, as whenever my wife hollers at me I plead my guiltless innocense

Props to the drinker - I would have had to pee like a racehorse upon decent after pounding that quickly
-- Good point! Those of you who are younger need a few decades to catch up to we guys with more mature prostates

What is wrong with people in this thread?? The OP brought up something that he thought was questionable by a US FA, and people have basically made the OP sound like he or she is a kitten-killer...
-- I'm a dog guy myself . . . specifically German Shepherds

I trust that the FA knew what he was doing. I wouldn't have noticed how much another passenger was drinking unless the passenger started getting obnoxious.
-- Exactly! It's a situational call and not an etched-in-stone rule. Many of us are relieved when we do not have to make a decision

Do you also check if FA washed her hands after attending a lady's room? Because, you know, hands must be clean!
-- don't even want to ponder that one when the trays come out

The OP took his own tendency to imbibe little to moderately, added an assumption that the FA had no reason to think the subject passenger wasn't driving and found the FA's actions "irresponsible."
-- yes, this takes us back to realm of aesthetics. I'm willing to trust our FAs to use their judgement as they know how to read people.

I think it's fair enough to ask if someone is going to drive, but beyond that people are adults and we have consequences for people who break behavorial laws if they are inebriated.
-- a double-edged sword. If we see a drunk heading to a car, then it's a pretty clear call. But from inside a cabin, the picture gets real cloudy. Life is a scary proposition at times and this is where tolerance and judgement become a balancing act.

Well, that's my take on this thread. I'm stone-cold sober as I write this.

Fly happy, on-time and safe.

Barry