FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Denial continues - Globe & Mail story
Old May 16, 2003, 9:13 am
BlondeBomber
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
and when I am talking about unions I am usually not talking wages (with a few exceptions I don't think you are overpaid).

It is about efficiencies and job rules. The larger the organization and the more rules, the less efficient you become and less adaptable to change. When I say adaptable, I mean in the rapid sense (ie days and weeks, not months and years).

And regarding service--I think I have said on numerous occasions, and have put it in writing to AC, that the service levels are generally of a high standard. The real exceptions are memorable but, fortunately, few and far between.

That doesn't mean that many aspects of the operation aren't broken. The complex fare structure, the differential between the full fare and super discount and the byzantine rules that even agents have trouble keeping up with and understanding are symptoms of a deeper malaise. Add to that the things the take some of the fun out of flying like terrorist attacks, SARS and the security crap I have to occasionally put up with and you can see why AC went into rapid decline.

I do think that even though the service levels are of a high standard, there is a certain je ne sais quoi lacking. You shouldn't have to send memos out to your staff to have them smile. It should be part of the corporate culture--I think management has failed utterly to create a winning and enthusiastic team. Enthusiasm, ah yes, that's the je ne sais quoi . . .