FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - State of Denial continues - Globe & Mail story
Old May 16, 2003, 8:20 am
purser @AC

While I agree with some of the points made by "In the Air guy", I find others quite insensitive. Perhaps if something is repeated often enough, it becomes true! Over the course of my twenty-five years with AC, I have rarely seen an employee treat a customer with disdain. The vast majority of my colleagues have always gone out of their way to provide excellent customer service. Why do I constantly receive rave reviews regarding the inflight service on my flights from non-Canadian customers, while only grudging praise from most Canadians? Where did all of the industry customer service awards that AC has won over the years come from?
What leads certain people to believe that if they are not upgraded to J class, from a Q fare, they are not receiving good service? I value all customers, regardless of the side of the curtain they are sitting on!! Does denial of a complimentary upgrade constitute poor customer service and entitle a customer to be belligerent with my crew? Does it make financial sense for Air Canada to offer Westjet fare levels, for business class products? While I believe that there are many areas in my contract with my employer that can be made more efficient, I do not believe that flight attendants making an average of $33 thousand per year are over paid.
I do not deny that AC has made some strategic mistakes, but I also do not buy into this common belief that poor customer service is the cause of AC's woes. Yes, anecdotal evidence of poor customer service can always be found. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to totally control the human variable in a customer service situation. As well, it is also human nature to forget the positive and dwell on the negative.
The industry as a whole is going through a very trying period, and SARS has hit AC harder than any non Asian carrier. We employees would really appreciate some of the kindness and support that we have shown our valuable customers over the years!
Have a great day!