FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Pre-Check for United Airlines Passengers - Questions and Experiences (2013)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:14 am
JudyBlueEyes

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Judy, my understanding is that as long as your Known Traveler Number (global entry) in your profile you should have no problem continuing to get PREcheck. I asked the same question yesterday and that is what I was told. Silver Premier is pretty low on the totem pole anyway and a great number of us Silvers report batting zero with Precheck. That is why I went with GE and have 100% precheck for about 25 flights this year.

Has he EVER been selected for PRE (three beeps) on any flight? If so, he is in the system and I don't think that would change by losing his Silver status.
But again, being Global entry should be all he needs.

As for your other question (yes, this is the wrong thread for that but....) Personally, I would never pay $1000 for miles just for PRE benefits. Even if you fly twenty times that year, is it worth $50 a flight to save ten or 15 minutes in security lines. And the way things are going at some airports (PRE is not always that fast.

There are some years where it is close if I will hit Silver or not. I get an occasional upgrade, and I like being able to pick a better seat 24 hours before departure but my main reason for wanting status in the past is to use the Premier Security line. Boarding precedence doesn't matter much to me. With GE I'll worry a lot less about making Silver. I'd never pay big bucks for it. Though I might consider paying a little if I was just short of GOLD.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, he often (almost always) gets the 3 beeps and the OK to use the PreCheck line now. So do others think I can reassure him that Global Entry, not Silver Premium, is what helps him get TSA Pre? I called United yesterday and the customer service agent said using TSA Pre lines DOES depend on having some elite status, but perhaps she was wrong?

One reason he's thinking about paying $900+ for status is because otherwise he might pay for the annual Economy Plus upgrade right ($499) so for just a few hundred dollars more he gets other benefits of Silver. Though probably most of you out there wouldn't pay for Economy Plus either?! Continued thanks, and if anyone else has input/experience on whether TSA Pre depends at all on Silver elite status, it would be great to hear. Judy

Last edited by JudyBlueEyes; Oct 30, 2013 at 11:20 am