FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T Mobile Global data coverage
View Single Post
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:08 am
NickP 1K

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by dan1431
It is an amazing deal, but T-Mobile's coverage is not the best in comparison to the at&t and Verizon and that is what is keeping me from switching over.

I visit at least once place frequently that T-Mobile/SPRINT have no coverage while at&t and VZW cover at least the area by the hotel fairly decently.

Dan
Coverage is coverage folks...

Where i live all networks are generally good, where my In laws are Verizon blows chunks (1-2 bars and poor data quality); same location AT&T is constant "network busy" or data below 40Kb (YES 40Kb - goes up to 2-3Mb at non peak hours). I can name MANY other places near me that have just as bad coverage on all networks and a few cases where only T-Mobile or Sprint work where Verizon and AT&T do. There are a few places near us that T-Mobile falls to 1-2 bars or 2G only but I'm NEVER in those areas for long.

Get a prepaid SIM and try it out... .You should be doing that for ANY network decision. "Good coverage in my town" means nothing when you can go down to an area where there is no good infrastructure or main issue is NIMBY's fighting coverage improvement.

There is NO such thing as a perfect network and in fact even Verizon rural coverage isn't truly their's in many markets.

HINT: AT&T just sold their actual cellsites to Crown Castle in the US; this is HUGE as Crown co-locates other carriers on sites. Expect to see some AT&T sites be available to other carriers within a year.

I always have a Verizon prepaid MiFi in my travel kit in case I go somewhere T-Mobile is abysmal Domestic. IN the last year I've used it once and spent $30 on the data for it - even then it was to avoid a T-Mobile market that was 2G only. Still HELL of loads cheaper than paying Verizon $180 USD for the same plan I pay T-Mobile $110