FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:02 am
drewguy

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I suspect that this policy was implemented to limit the opportunity to 'jump the queue" in the upgade list. Obviously it still could be done, but you now have to find your own availability with your own search.
That doesn't really explain award space also being blocked from visibility.

I think this is like the AwardWallet etc. fights - UA wants money for access to valuable information. They can't ban all access because travel agents need it too.

Originally Posted by dkc715
This change suggests expert mode will lose R/RN visibility in coming days. I am certain United doesn't like people intentionally booking coach knowing they can immediately upgrade on ticketing.
Then why even have R space at all? Or why have R space available more than, say, 120 hours before a flight? Hiding the information just frustrates everyone, but doesn't really solve the problem you identify. And for that matter it's not really a problem - R space opens up when United's inventory management tells them they're not going to sell all the business seats at the asking price. R space means they can sell a coach seat and get some revenue, or at least take a liability off the books--miles or upgrade instruments. If allowing upgrades were bad business they wouldn't have them.

Originally Posted by dpdapper
Incredibly disappointing. Seems self-defeating for United--why hide this information from (presumably) loyal MileagePlus members who are simply trying to use their (sometimes) hard-earned miles efficiently?

I do recall United taking its data off ExpertFlyer a couple of years (?) ago and then they apparently reconsidered and the data reappeared on ExpertFlyer. Perhaps they will again see the light.
As above, it's a question of how much ExpertFlyer is willing to pay United to access this information.