FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will UA issue ticket (016 ticket) w/ partner airline only, no UA/UX flight on itin?
Old Oct 29, 2013, 1:01 pm
SFOTurtle

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
So it's not just me!!!

Sometimes you can go through the initial process of booking an Award ticket and have the missing carrier show up there... then it may give you the option of purchasing the ticket instead. Trouble is, the purchased ticket is often sky-high because it defaults to booking the non-UA segment in Y (if it's not a code-share flight). This is really causing me grief trying to book an award ticket for my wife and a paid ticket for myself, because there's no award availability (at saver rates) for 100% UA itin, and the non-UA segments showing up for awards cannot be booked as paid flights (on UA's website).
My experience exactly. Looking at a NZ operated flight next year. Lowest fare UA shows on .com is $3500, although NZ is selling seatss around $1200. I recognize that might need to pay a little higher to get a fare basis to earn PQM on UA (leaving aside issue of PQD), but UA.com isn't even close to being competitive. I haven't tried calling UA yet. Will wait to see if others report any success before wasting any time on this.