FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Definitive Flying with Dogs on LH from Heathrow Thread
Old Oct 27, 2013, 4:50 pm
gook

Programs: British Airways Exec Club
Nightmare...

Hi HeaAndrews,

Im also traveling to Germany with Lufthansa from the UK with a pet, and it's been a nightmare trying to get it arranged. The contact numbers given on the Lufthansa animals page are rubbish, and after 2 weeks and trying (honestly!!!) around 15 different numbers and email addresses, I have a few answers.

I was able to book my pet on the flight out of the UK. I requested an updated ticket with the dog booked on and stated on the ticket, plus I had email confirmation. You don't want to get to the airport and have any issues.

Getting my dog back into the UK is a different matter altogether and one which I am still trying to resolve.

Just be sure your crate + dog weight isn't more than 8KG, which might be tough if your dog is already 6KG?!

It's a frustration process, but call the reservations team, and keep calling until you speak to someone that will confirm your dog has been booked on the flight. For written confirmation you can contact customer care at: customer [email protected].

There are also restrictions on the age of the dog, and i'm surprised the post below says that an 8 week old puppy was allowed to fly - but maybe the age restrictions are new? Things are changing all the time, and soon dogs will be able to fly in and out of the UK without such hassle.

Once I had booked with Lufthansa, I called DEFRA to confirm it was allowed, and they told me that their regulations have laxed, but the airlines still have to catch up - so as long as you get your confirmation from LH (written!!!), and conform to the weight and carrier restrictions, then you should be fine leaving the UK.

Hope this helps a bit... you'd think the process would have been streamlined and standardised by now, but it seems that most people answering the phones at LH don't have a clue about any of this.

Good luck!

Debbie.